The reading level for this article is Novice
1. 1-2 pages in length.
3. 1.5 to 2 inch margins.
4. Use company stationary with logo and slogan.
5. Avoid bright or dark-colored paper.
6. Center “News Release” at top.
7. Place a “release date” under “News Release”.
8. On second page, type “page 2”.
9. Use company stationary with logo and slogan on page 2.
10. Leave out “release after” date on second page, all else should be the same.
11. At end of press release, type “-30-” or “# # #”.
12. Include both black & white, color, and a variety of font sizes (but no more than four).
13. Inverted pyramid (biggest point or major message first).
14. Straight to the point at the beginning.
15. First and second paragraphs devoted to your main message.
16. Secondary information comes AFTER main message.
17. No pussyfooting around, be clear up front, at the very beginning.
18. Don’t go on and on.
19. In the third section, establish a connection with you.
20. Use a problem/solution format.
21. Comparing and contrasting ideas can be inside the problem/solution format.
22. Be careful of your facts, spelling and grammar.
23. Only one news release per e-mail or envelope.
Information to Include
24. Newsworthy information, not sales copy.
25. All the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How elements. Their order depends on level of importance.
26. Enticing headline which summarize the material/news.
27. Photos if available, or where they can be accessed in press section of your web site. No stock images.
28. No cover letter.
29. Don’t send press release out in a mass e-mailing.
30. Don’t pester contacts.
31. Editors will not distribute anything sloppy, difficult to read, or understand.
32. Mail release by first class mail.
33. Don’t use any type of labels, including your return address.
34. Add “PRESS RELEASE” and “Release Date:” on outside of envelope.
35. Places to send press releases: writers@[magazines]; writers@[newspapers]; trade journals in your industry; print magazines on the topic; online agencies that distribute news releases.
© Copyright 2004, Catherine Franz. All rights reserved.